On February 9th, 2024, news broke that Saco, Maine’s schools went into lockdown due to an unspecified “incident” near Thornton Academy. This understandably caused worry and confusion among parents, students, and the local community. While details remain limited, here’s what we know so far, along with resources for staying informed and supporting those affected.
As of this writing (February 10th, 2024), official details about the incident are scarce. Local news outlets reported that the lockdown was initiated around noon on February 9th, affecting all Saco schools. Sources mention the incident occurred near Thornton Academy, but its nature hasn’t been publicly disclosed. The lockdown was lifted within a few hours, with students dismissed or released to their designated pick-up locations.
What We Don’t Know:
- The specific nature of the “incident”
- Whether there were any injuries or threats to safety
- The current status of any ongoing investigation
While details remain limited, it’s important to rely on official sources for accurate information. Here are some resources:
- Saco School District Website: https://www.sacoschools.org/
- Thornton Academy Website: https://www.thorntonacademy.org/
- Saco Police Department Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SacoPD/
- Local News Outlets: WGME, WCSH, Portland Press Herald
UPDATE: At the direction of the Saco Police Dept, TA has gone into a full lockdown. Students remain safe and we are working with the Saco Police to monitor the situation.
— Thornton Academy (@ThorntonAcademy) February 9, 2024
These sources will likely update their pages with new information as it becomes available. Additionally, Saco School District may send out notifications directly to parents and guardians.
Supporting the Community:
Events like these can be unsettling for everyone involved. Here are some ways to offer support:
- Reach out to friends and family: Check in on those who may have been affected, especially students and their families.
- Respect privacy: Avoid spreading rumors or speculation, as this can contribute to anxiety and misinformation.
- Follow official guidance: Remain calm and follow instructions from authorities and school officials.
- Seek support if needed: If you or someone you know is struggling emotionally, reach out to local mental health resources or trusted confidants.
While the specifics of the incident remain unclear, it’s important to remember that the safety of students and staff is the top priority for Saco schools and local authorities. As more information becomes available, we can work together to support the community and ensure a safe and healthy learning environment for all.
This blog post is intended to provide general information and does not claim to have access to exclusive details about the incident. Please respect the privacy of those involved and avoid spreading misinformation.
It’s important to remember that situations like this can be emotionally charged. Be mindful of your words and actions, and offer support where you can.
By staying informed, supporting the community, and respecting privacy, we can help Saco move forward in a positive and constructive manner.