With a new year comes a new slate of Hollywood movies to look forward to. From sequels to blockbusters to original films from acclaimed filmmakers, there’s something for everyone in the upcoming release calendar.
In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at some of the most anticipated Hollywood movies of 2023. We’ll cover a variety of genres, including superheroes, science fiction, fantasy, action, adventure, comedy, drama, horror, animation, and family. We’ll also highlight some of the awards season contenders that are sure to generate buzz.
Superhero movies continue to be one of the most popular genres in Hollywood, and 2023 is no exception. Some of the most anticipated superhero movies of the year include:
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: The third installment in the Ant-Man franchise sees Paul Rudd return as Scott Lang alongside Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym. Together, they must face off against Kang the Conqueror, a powerful time traveler from the future.
- The Marvels: This sequel to Captain Marvel sees Brie Larson return as Carol Danvers alongside Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel and Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau. The three women must team up to take on a powerful new threat.
- The Flash: This long-awaited solo film for the Scarlet Speedster sees Ezra Miller return as Barry Allen. The film will explore the Flash’s ability to travel through time, and it features a number of cameos from other DC characters, including Ben Affleck’s Batman and Michael Keaton’s Batman.
Science Fiction and Fantasy Movies
Science fiction and fantasy fans will also have a lot to look forward to in 2023. Some of the most anticipated sci-fi/fantasy movies of the year include:
- Dune: Part Two: This sequel to the critically acclaimed 2021 film sees Timothée Chalamet return as Paul Atreides as he continues his fight against the Harkonnens and the Emperor.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: This third installment in the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise sees Chris Pratt return as Peter Quill alongside Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and Bradley Cooper. The film will explore the Guardians’ origins and introduce a number of new characters, including Adam Warlock.
- Oppenheimer: This biographical film from acclaimed director Christopher Nolan tells the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the scientist who led the Manhattan Project to develop the atomic bomb. Cillian Murphy stars as Oppenheimer, alongside an ensemble cast that includes Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., and Florence Pugh.
Action and Adventure Movies
Fans of action and adventure movies will also have a lot to choose from in 2023. Some of the most anticipated action/adventure movies of the year include:
- Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One: This seventh installment in the Mission: Impossible franchise sees Tom Cruise return as Ethan Hunt. The film is set to be the most ambitious and action-packed Mission: Impossible film yet.
- Fast X: This tenth installment in the Fast & Furious franchise sees Vin Diesel return as Dominic Toretto. The film will feature a number of new characters, including Jason Momoa as the villain.
- Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: This fifth installment in the Indiana Jones franchise sees Harrison Ford return as the iconic adventurer. The film is set to be Ford’s final Indiana Jones film.
Comedy, Drama, Horror, Animation, and Family Movies
In addition to the superhero, sci-fi/fantasy, and action/adventure movies listed above, there are a number of other anticipated Hollywood movies of the year in a variety of genres. Here are just a few examples:
- Comedy: Knock at the Cabin, Asteroid City, Babylon
- Drama: Elvis, The Whale, Tár
- Horror: The Exorcist: Believer, Scream 6, Evil Dead Rise
- Animation: Elemental, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Super Mario Bros. Movie
- Family: The Little Mermaid, Wonka, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Awards Season Contenders
Looking ahead to awards season, there are a number of Hollywood movies that are sure to generate buzz. Here are just a few examples: